Who are we?
We are the K’ómoks Guardian Watchmen, our goal is to protect and preserve the environment within our Traditional Territory. We are the eyes and ears of the land and sea, thriving to protect everything from the tops of the mountains to the bottom of the oceans, and everything in between.
We have had great success in creating awareness of our program within our traditional territory, receiving positive feedback from the community. Our team attends many meetings to ensure we have a voice in projects happening within the K’ómoks Traditional Territory. We are also active members of the Ha-ma-yas Stewardship Network.
What do we do?
Our team of environmental stewards works on a number of initiatives to ensure the ecological protection of our habitat. We do regular patrols of our reserve lands, looking for anything that could be damaging the area, such as invasive plants, illegal dumping, or other harmful activities. Our projects include activities such as:
- Eco-cultural restoration (i.e. goose enclosure fences)
- Fish counts in local streams and rivers
- Wildlife surveys (checkerspot butterflies, seals, shellfish, etc.)
- Goose harvests
- Hunting ground and fishing area patrols (enforcing regulation compliance)
- Traditional village site mapping